Monday, October 19, 2009

The view from here

I took the day off from the blog yesterday for no particular reason (unless continuing the trend where I point out numerical milestones like consecutive day streaks or 50th post and then immediately follow up by missing a day counts as a good reason) but as it turned out, yesterday was a winding-down the week kind of day without major earth-shaking news. Which is fine with me, honestly, one of the best uses for a Sunday that I can think of.

But now it's Monday and I can look at the week ahead and take stock. (OK, and maybe look back on Sunday a little to give things context.)

The Yankees play at 4 o'clock this afternoon, which means for pretty much all of the game I will either be at work or mid-commute. Late evening games on the weekends, afternoon games on a Monday - I heard somewhere that these scheduling decisions all yield the best possible TV ratings, but I remain skeptical. I did stay up until 1:15 a.m. Saturday night/Sunday morning to see the end of the ALCS Game 2 (probably another reason why I didn't have the wherewithal to blog on Sunday) and I can only say that A.J. Burnett didn't move my estimation of him either way. He could have pitched a lot worse and handed the game to the Angels, and he also could have pitched a little better and made it a 2-1 NY win in nine innings. Hopefully he doesn't come up again in the rotation until the World Series. Meanwhile, I've decided I don't really have a preference as to which NL team makes it to the World Series (assuming, with all due arrogance, that the Yankees are the AL team). Phillies would make it Yankees versus the defending champs, which would be epic; Dodgers would make it Yankees versus Joe Torre, which would also be epic.

The Broncos and Chargers play MNF tonight and I doubt I will watch much of the game. (I hear Top Gear is on BBC America on Monday nights, as well!) I've already gotten my butt handed to me in both fantasy football and pick'em so badly that no outcome or set of improbable happenings can change my fate. I'm bummed that the Giants lost yesterday, but 5-1 is still a great way to start the season and I knew the Saints were going to give Big Blue a tough game. Not that I got to see Giants/Saints, of course. Market blackout rules meant our local Fox affiliate was showing sitcome re-runs between 1 and 4 p.m. while CBS showed the Redskins soiling themselves against the Chiefs. An 0-5 AFC team held the Redskins to two field goals all day, and got four field goals and a safety for themselves. Dear NFL, there is this thing in football called the "touchdown" and I kind of enjoy seeing them when I watch a game. Enough with the TV blackouts for crapfests like this.

I saw way too many commercials for Bud Light Golden Wheat this weekend, so much so that I am seriously considering going to Total and filling a custom-six-pack with the following:
1 Bud Light
1 Bud Light Golden Wheat
1 legitimate wheat beer
3 random brown ales
I will then use the first three as the basis for a taste test (and post the results here, obviously) and use the latter trio to erase all memories of the former.

Towards the end of last week at work it looked like I was going to be submitting to severe tissue and nerve damage (metaphorically speaking, mostly) in the teeth of the flesh-shredding gears, but it turns out the rumblings of the machine were mostly a false alarm. Right now my main project is languishing under technical difficulties utterly out of control (someone at the host is allegedly researching a solution, but I know what I mean when I say I'm "researching a solution" so I'm not too hopeful there) and my potential side project is on hold as I wait for a response from the bigwig who requested it. He has my proposed action plan and proposed timeline, and I can't start anything until it gets approved. Since this side project threatens, according to my first-glance estimates, to completely take over my professional life until February or so, I honestly don't know whether to hope to get word on approval as soon as possible, or to hope for the whole thing to be scrapped.

Honestly this really is the most likely outcome.
Mostly this week is shaping up to be a countdown for the coming weekend, which is going to feature a wedding at the National Cathedral and a Halloween open house at a veterinary clinic. Hard to top a double-feature like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment