Saturday, October 17, 2009

Saturday Grab Bag 5-0

Hey, it's my 50th post on the blog! That's exciting!

+++

Obligatory Yankees update: as of today they are the only team undefeated in the post-season. Which is really, really meaningless since all they had to do to maintain that distinction was sweep the lucky-to-be-at-the-dance-at-all Twins and win the home opener of the ALCS against a weirdly error-prone Anaheim squad. Still, I'll take what I can get when A.J. Burnett is scheduled to pitch tonight. Here's hoping the NY bats can do enough work to mitigate any damage incurred on the mound.

If Burnett throws a really strong game and the Yanks go up 2-0 I promise I'll stop bad-mouthing the guy.

+++

I've never been the kind of person who eagerly anticipates the release of particular video games. I've also never been the kind of person who saw himself owning more than one current-generation video game system. My friends all got into the MMORPG City of Heroes way before I did, but once I upgraded my PC so that I could play it, and started playing, I loved it. (Still do.) I also played Guitar Hero at other people's house a few times before feeling like I needed my own at-home experience, and that motivated me to find the Wii my wife was also interested in getting. Between those two monster time-sinks and the occasional Mario Kart marathon, I'm pretty much all set.

But now this game Brutal Legend is coming out, and it combines action/fighting with ridiculous heavy metal motifs and I WANT WANT WANT. But it's only available on PS3 and Xbox 360, and whether or not I can now see myself as a guy who owns multiple contemporary platforms, the one game cannot justify the hardware investment. But logic aside, this kills me. Come on, this game has a character called Kill Master based on the ugliest man in metal, Lemmy from Motorhead:

The Ace of Spades!
COME ON.

+++

I just started reading a comic (ha-ha, not pictures and word balloons) novel that is a re-telling of King Lear. You might think that one of Shakespeare's more brutal tragedies would be strange source material for a satirical romp, and I suppose it is strange. But I've always loved Lear, probably my favorite of Shakespeare's plays. I'll have to judge the book as a whole when I finish it but so far so amusing, including (or possibly especially) because the author plays a little fast and loose with the history, having the characters refer to things in the distant past that are thinly veiled versions of 20th or 21st century events. I find that endearing because I've always thought King Lear was arguably the best Shakespeare to re-imagine as happening in a post-apocalyptic future. Nice to know I'm not the only one with such odd thoughts.

+++

This week while watching Top Chef my wife and I pondered how ridiculously wealthy we would have to become in order to throw a soiree that could be catered by the Top Chef contestants. The day we become that loaded is probably pretty far off, so we'll settle for going to the Voltaggio restaurant in nearby Maryland one of these days. If ever this blog is going to feature a restaurant review, that'll be the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment