Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Treading water

Some days do not lend themselves well to blogging because they are so very resolutely unremarkable. Such as today:

Things are quiet on the homefront, as the little one was deemed well enough to go back to daycare as of this morning. House still standing, pets still abusing our hospitality. All systems normal.

Things are quiet on the workfront, where it seems as though everyone is in delayed-Monday mode, since yesterday was a holiday that about 90% of the office stayed home for. I came in to the office because I didn’t have a floater to spare, and I began to suspect that I was overdressed, in my slacks and shirt and tie, when I bumped into a couple of coworkers in jeans and polos. When one of my coworkers made fun of my fancy get-up, that pretty much clinched it. Frigging government offices, man. Nobody told me the dress code was suspended on bank holidays. Lesson learned. But today, everyone is back and so is the dress code and so is a general sense of grindstone-resentment, and I am just keeping my head down as usual (which is not hard, because of course also as usual I have nothing to do).

Things are quiet on the sportsfront, since playoff baseball is on hiatus until Friday and the NFL weekend … I was going to say “limped to a finish with a meh MNF game”, except I apparently missed one of the craziest fourth quarters in a long while because I couldn’t stay up past halftime. I once again needed the favorite team to cover the spread (for the pick’em pool) while forcing the underdog QB to have a monster game (for my fantasy football team, yes I picked up Chad Henne on the waiver wire because Aaron Rodgers was on BYE, and the pickings were slim in my fourteen-team league) and I fell asleep thinking I had at least half that proposition covered. Turns out the Jets did not live up to expectations (not like I was going to win the pick’em pool this week anyway), and Henne threw for a couple TDs and that’s good for me (at least, I think it’s good enough – I haven’t checked my fantasy league site from work because several of the owners enjoy NSFWing the holy hell out of that site) so I was still half-right, it just turned out to be the other half. As far as baseball goes, of course I’m happy the Yankees swept and the Sox are out but there’s only so many times I can reflect on those facts and I think I preemptively used up all my ammo.

And things are quiet on the dorkfront, since between sick baby and sports overload I clearly haven’t had time to watch any movies or catch up on comics, and what I’m reading on the commute these days is a factually interesting but incredibly dry anthropology book, and nothing else is really lighting up those day-glo parts of my gray matter at the moment. I’m hoping to get together with some buddies for gaming on Thursday, so maybe I’ll be able to report on that after the fact.

So that’s me waxing directionlessly for 500-some words on the whole what’s-up-not-much tip. For making it this far, here’s a picture of a happy little beer fairy:

Somehow this makes everything ginchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment