Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Week in Queen (1)

Happy Movember! The “mo” is for “moustache” of course, and to my way of thinking there are few ‘stache-sporting dudes as legendary as the late, great Freddie Mercury.

Last week I was talking to one of my buddies (frequent commenter Harvey Jerkwater in point of fact) and the subject of Mr. Mercury came up (in quite possibly the most geektastic way possible, as we were discussing the comic book character The Flash, who is a completely separate fictional being from Flash Gordon, who was the subject of a movie made in 1980 with an epic soundtrack by Queen, but the overlap of nomenclature is sometimes unavoidable and thus it all gets deliberately conflated to save time), prompting me to claim (truthfully, I maintain) that not a day goes by when I don’t think the world is a poorer place for Freddie Mercury’s premature departure from it. I further explained that this is the case because a day rarely goes by when I don’t hear a song by Queen at some point or other, because I listen primarily to the local classic rock FM station (and a fair amount of throwback-oriented satellite radio).

Then I started wondering if this were actually true, or one of those things that only seems true. So I decided to start tracking things for myself, and posting the results here. So, every Sunday, at least for the month of Movember (or until I get bored/distracted/overbusy) I will post the Queen songs that I’ve come in contact with during the previous week. This one is going to be short (in addition to being backdated, as I’m getting a late start here) and only cover this past weekend:

Saturday, 9:30 p.m.: “Under Pressure” on Big 100 FM while driving home from Giant

Sunday, 4:20 p.m.: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” on Big 100 FM while driving to CarMax

Sunday, 8:15 p.m.: “Killer Queen” on Big 100 FM, technically through the baby monitor after putting the little girl down to sleep to the dulcet tones of dinosaur rock on the clock radio

No comments:

Post a Comment