Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday Grab Bag In a Winter Wonderland

Holy weasels, you guys, it is snowing like crazy today. I know I've said it hereabouts, but I also have been saying it in conversation to anyone who will listen: it does not snow in northern Virginia in December. Except apparently when it does. When it started snowing this morning it seemed like it wouldn't stick, then it started sticking to the tree branches, then it started sticking to the roads. Fortunately it didn't delay my mom's flight home - dropped her off about an hour ago. Still - snow! Multiple inches of perfect packing snow! Dirt-spreaders prowling the highways! Damnedest thing.

+++

It is slowly dawning on me that the new house, while splendiferously awesome, is not going to be the cure-all I had subconsciously been envisioning it to be. I am specifically referring here to my geekier hobbies, which I rarely have the time for and absolutely do not have the space for currently. There's a direct relationship between space and time, of course, something I alluded to yesterday when I mentioned that it was hard to build up a head of steam for packing if I was going to ensure that everything was back out of the way within two hours.

So, similarly, there's all these things I've been wanting to do that I don't have the space for. I want to go through all my old comics and find the ones I don't actually need to keep and get rid of them (preferably on eBay) - but right now my comics are actually at a friend's house because there's no room for them at mine. I want to build little models for my geeky games but all the materials are usually tucked away in closets and there aren't many surfaces in the house where thigns could sit and dry or hang out half-completed that would be out of reach of fifteen-month-old hands. Ah, but the new house! My comics and I will be reuinted. I'll have a room in the basement where I can lay out a table with paint and materials and in-progress-projects and when I have a spare half-hour to work on those hobbies I can use the whole half hour instead of needing twenty minutes at least just to set everything up, and twenty more to put everything safely away, and never mind.

But! That much-improved situation does not in and of itself magically generate any of those mythical spare half-hours. I get bummed now because I don't have many of them and wouldn't be able to use them well if I did. The new house only solves the back half of that. And that's fine, it's really yet another one of my petty little things which even speaking about makes me realize just how sweet my life overall must be for them to stand out. But I have to manage the petty pitfalls as well as the colossal ones, so I'm bracing myself for that.

+++

So how about that Star Trek reboot movie, huh? It's been a week since I saw it but it seems longer, and I haven't said much about it here. I would definitely place it in the top three of all Star Trek movies, right up there with Wrath of Khan and First Contact. Wrath of Khan is of course yet another sci-fi movie with some seriously disturbing imagery which I watched on HBO as a tyke (a recurrent theme here at PA), but I distinctly remember watching First Contact years ago, walking out of the theater and announcing to my friends "Sometimes, Star Trek should just be all about tequila and kicking ass." And Abrams's Star Trek falls right in line with that, as well. I didn't see any tequila in the barroom brawl specifically, but I think we can safely assume there was some there. The "Budweiser Classic" order was a nice touch, too. In fact, I loves me some barroom brawls but what I liked most about that whole sequence of the movie was how it seemed to imply that a few hundred years in the future there would be a major retro vibe in popular culture, with girls wearing mini-dresses and bars playing 60's funk, which at least semi-justifies the look of Starfleet uniforms and hairstyles around the time of Kirk and Spock's early voyages (even if said justification is more of a knowing meta-wink and a grin).

I thought the actual crux of the time travel plot was terrible, but I decided it was forgivably stupid. There were huge gaping plot holes in the exposition delivered by Old Spock, and just having Old Spock do a ton of voiceover exposition was not the smoothest storytelling decision of all time, but in the end none of that mattered. The whole point of the movie was to launch a new incarnation of the franchise and introduce us to these alternate-timeline versions of the classic crew, and that was done in a maximally entertaining way. And there was much kicking of ass.

So I'm on board for the inevitable sequel. And again, just in case J.J. Abrams happens upon this while Googling himself: FEATURE-LENGTH MIRROR MIRROR. Make it happen, cap'n.

+++

SPICY BOOZE - IT'S WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST!!!
I have had a bottle of Absolute Peppar in my bar for years and a succession of bottles of sriracha hot sauce in the fridge over those same years, and I just found out yesterday about the logical combination of sriracha with Bloody Marys. I am a frigging idiot.

+++

My little guy is saying more and more recognizable proto-words these days. The latest addition to his verbal arsenal is "car" - or as he pronounces it, "Caahhww". He is really obsessed with cars and trucks, counting the hand-sized versions among his favorite toys and getting very excited when the garbagemen or mailman drive down to our end of the street. The boy makes a good vroom-vroom noise, too ... and apparently thinks that "caahhww" is the name for anything that makes vaguely engine-like sounds. The other day he was pointing at the dishwasher and emphatically naming it a "caahhww" as well. Ah, taxonomy is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment