Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pod sightings

Do Not Poke Happy Fun Pod.
As of yesterday morning, we have a pod – one of those portable temporary storage units, though, not the incubation chamber for an alien lifeform bent on subjugating humanity (which, on balance, is probably for the best). The pod was acquired to meet a couple of different needs. It should allow us to move using only a medium-sized rental truck, because a pod-full of junk will be moved separately. It also lets us get some of the packed boxes out of the house immediately, so the house looks slightly less mid-move cluttered as we show it to potential renters. That all makes perfect sense, but I was bizarrely resistant to the idea at first and had to be convinced by my better half. Now that the plan is in motion I’m on board, even given that the centerpiece of the plan is now abundantly occupying my parking space in front of the townhouse. I think I can scrounge up street parking and hoof it up to the house for a week and a half.

We are closing a week from tomorrow and moving in a week and a half! This feels un-possible, yet I’m pretty sure there is a small army of housing-industry professionals who are going to insist that it come to pass.

Actually the most unsettling aspect of looking at a calendar and counting down December is trying to figure out how I’m going to get my server transition project finished in 17 working days. Every time I think I’m making some progress, the person or people I’m talking to stop answering my e-mails and disappear for a couple days. It’s not my fault and there’s nothing I can do about it, but the fact that this project is my primary (and sometimes only) responsibility makes me feel like my continued employment into 2010 depends on rising to the challenge of becoming history’s greatest cat-herder. Not actually true, but not a fun feeling. I wish I could just blow off work and devote my brain entirely to the move, but that’s not an option. Gods willing, though, January will be much less annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment