Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday Grab Bag of Things To Come

As if the hassles at work weren't already hasslier than usual this week, I also broke my badge. It got caught between my belly and the edge of the desk as I leaned across for something and snapped in half. That cannot be a good sign. It's held together with packing tape now, and it still reads in the electronic door locks for the office suite, but it's probably only a matter of time before it becomes useless. I'm supposed to get a new one at the end of September (assuming as always that our contract is renewed for the coming fiscal year) so we will see if I can hobble along broken-badged for three and a half more months.

+++

Anyway, while I'm on the subject, I know the latest round of newly instituted security measures by which I must abide at work were presumably in the works for a while, and thus are not a knee-jerk reaction to all the news the past couple of weeks about You-Know-Who (I am of course now assuming that the NSA is monitoring this blog and I don't want to set off any suspicious sympathizer keyword alarms by invoking the name of the perfidious Leaker of the Moment). However, I would not be surprised if the extremely to-the-letter enforcement I've been athwart of is somewhat influenced by current front page news.

Here's the only thing about the intersection of the two that I've been thinking lately, though: when You-Know-Who got canned, his salary made headlines. He made more than I do. I'm wondering if I should ask my contracting boss for a raise putting me slightly above what You-Know-Who was making, based on the fact that I have NOT divulged any classified secrets to the press. Like, ever! That's gotta be worth some compensation, right?

+++

A brief-lived offshoot of the post-Iron Man 3 conversation my buddy Clutch and I had involved some speculation about what exactly is going on with Warner Brothers' ownership of the DC Comics properties, and whether Man of Steel will someday be looked back on as the movie that kicked off a shared DC cinematic universe, and whether or not there will ever be a Justice League mega-blockbuster movie comparable to The Avengers. Specifically, the "comparable" part - any attempt at establishing a cinematic universe of varied superhero franchises which then can be combined into a mega-blockbuster team-oriented movie would inevitably seem like DC was imitating Marvel. DC Comics pre-date Marvel by a good two-decades-plus, so this is somewhat ironic. But it's also a far trickier proposition based on some fundamental differences between the two companies' overall thematic approaches to superheroes ... but maybe that's a subject for another post, probably.

In any case, I'm supposed to go see Man of Steel with the guys tonight, so I will be able to riff off that specifically in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment