Friday, June 7, 2013

Non-random non-anecdote

This is actually a somewhat boring tidbit of information, but it’s significant and important (to me). After about six months of waiting, endless paperwork, and no small amount of simply wishing I had been born, raised and lived out my life on an anarcho-syndicalist commune, my request to short-sell my townhouse has finally been officially approved. Just before I turned 30 (which coincided with the swollest part of the housing bubble, wheeee) I bought a skinny little three-floor two-bedroom unit of my very own, my first foray into property ownership. Since then the following things have happened, approximately in this order:

- my wife and I started dating
- she moved in
- we got engaged
- she changed jobs
- we got married
- I changed jobs
- she changed jobs again
- we had a baby
- I changed contracts at my job
- we bought a much bigger house together
- I became a landlord by renting out the townhouse
- we had another baby
- she changed jobs again
(- and again)
- I stopped renting out the townhouse and put it on the market
- we had yet another baby

And now, finally, for the first time ever I am going to go through the closing process on the seller’s side, some time in the next six weeks. And lucky me, I don’t have to bother with any of the messy complications of actually making any money from the sale. Seriously, though, even when we were renting the townhouse we were losing money on it every month, between the gap between rent and the mortgage, the condo association fees, and while it’s been on the market, the power and water bills. At this point I could not care less about the absence of capital gains in the transaction. (It’s not like I need to roll the equity into a new house, not this year anyway.) I will be quite happy to be rid of the albatross around my neck.

Who, me?

No offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment