Friday, June 18, 2010

Pulp Redemption

I heard a rumor this week that there may possibly be a fifth Indiana Jones movie in the works. And something occurred to me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark = hella-good
Temple of Doom = meh
Last Crusade = hella-good
Crystal Skull = verging on Ang-Lee-Hulk terrible

So maybe what we have here is a case of "Only the Odd Numbered Ones Are Good"? Or what you might call "The Inverse Star Trek"?

The Star Trek priniciple, I think, gained most of its credence right around the time that First Contact (technically Star Trek 8 at that point) came out, which proved that the movie series could jump from one cast to the next and still stick to the alternating-crap-and-quality pattern where its even numbered entries were golden.

This concept should have better than a 50/50 success rate, but in this world we take what we can get.
I would think that Indy 5 would be the last one in that series ... with Harrison Ford. But the groundwork has also been laid for Shia LeBoeuf to pick up the fedora and whip. So the franchise could keep going with Roddenberrian longevity.

So even though I felt totally burned by Indy 4, I know feel this odd numerology-tinged optimism about yet another sequel. I doubt this will be enough to convince my wife to go see Indy 5 in the theater with me, when and if it appears, since she's never seen Last Crusade yet suffered through a matinee of Crystal Skull opening weekend and is justifiably down on the whole property. But, we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment