Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Grab Bag Quickstep

The child is napping and the snow is falling, which means I am torn between shoveling in quick bursts between auditory checks for contented sleep-breathing, and moving the baby monitor from room to room while getting some more unpacking done without underfoot distractions. I am going between the horns of this particular dilemma by, of course, hacking out a blog post.

+++

Yesterday I got the state inspection for my car and stopped at a neighborhood Shell station to do it. They got me in and out of there very quickly, for which I am grateful, but in the small amount of time I spent inside the shop (which consisted of a cashier’s booth, a computer desk just for the garage, a coffee maker, racks of snacks and three chairs) I decided that this gas station actually had a much better munchies selection than the sundries store in my office building. This might actually be a good thing, since if there’s one thing I have a weakness for, it’s sundries. So the less temptation at the place I spend 40+ hours a week, the better. But still. Amongst the offerings at the Shell shop were numerous hyper-palatable delicacies I didn’t even know existed, and now I can’t unknow them. Jalapeno Cheddar Tortilla Combos?! All-caramel Milky Ways?!?! It is obviously in the best interests of the secret cabal of tycoonish overlords that rule the world to keep us all as fat as possible, but damn, do they have to be so insidiously good at it?

It's like seven-layer dip, but four of the layers are 'self-loathing'.
I didn’t buy any of those snacks but I’m seriously considering using the Super Bowl as an excuse to do so. Along with the much delayed taste-test of Bud Light Golden Wheat, just as the clock runs out on football season.

+++

I’m in the process of building bookshelves (read: assembling cheapo kits obtained from Wal-Mart, I admit) for my man-cave, which is kind of fun. I’ve never had a big problem following the directions of any assembly-required furniture. I enjoy it. Once the shelves are built I then have to decide what kind of organizational system to use to appropriately house and display my various collections of books and (let’s call them what they are) toys. That, to me, is the hard part. I would say “hopefully I won’t obsessively overthink it too much” but we all know that’s the impossible dream. “Hopefully I won’t obsess over it so much that it drags out for the better part of a year” sounds more achievable, so let’s go with that.

+++

There’s a reason why I titled this post the way I did – gotta keep it short and sweet and get back to other things. However, there may be an ultra-rare Sunday post tomorrow, if you’re good.

No comments:

Post a Comment