Friday, January 15, 2010

If I can be serious for a moment

Rather than force myself to come up with yet another slight variation on my petty life grievances or pop-culture obsessions, I've decided that today seems like a day when the best use of my tiny sliver of teh interwebs would be to ask anyone who happens along here to seriously consider helping relief efforts in Haiti.

NPR.org has been good enough to consolidate a page of links to various charities and aid agencies, any one of which would be grateful for donations. A friend of mine who spent some time volunteering in Haiti a few years back would heartily recommend Partners in Health, for what that's worth. Personally I've always been a big fan of the Red Cross. Suit yourself.

Amidst all the clatter of staking out my domain in suburbia and fondly recalling my sizable arsenal of childhood action figures, I do devote a brain cell here and there to trying to figure out Why We're Here. I have no illusions about having sussed that one out yet, or ever really reaching a worthwhile and enlightened Q.E.D., but at a minimum I'm convinced that it has something to do with helping one another. And every bit of help makes a difference, which is easy to lose sight of when every headline and broadcast lead for the past few days is about the immensity of the damage and the rising desperation in the affected areas. If you've already done something to contribute or show support, you are awesome. If you haven't, and if me asking means anything, please consider being at least a little awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment