Monday, September 21, 2009

The Sounds of Silence

Another plausible name for this entire blog effort would have been "Sometimes I Make Dumb Decisions" because that is a category I could maintain pretty specific focus on and yet never run out of material. For example, yesterday's itinerary included getting up early, finishing cleaning the house, setting up for and then hosting a party, enjoying a few beers (and these days, anything more than one beer makes me sleepy like a mattress-store mascot), and cleaning up the party aftermath ... AND YET I convinced myself that I needed to stay up until midnight to watch the end of the Giants-Cowboys game, despite the fact that I usually find Monday mornings somewhat difficult to face even if I go to bed half an hour after the baby.

Still, the reason I make so many dumb decisions and just kind of roll with the consequences is because the things I decide to do are their own reward. It was inordinately satisfying to see the Giants kick a last-second field goal (technically to see them kick two of them as Wade Philips tried the old "ice the kicker" gag to no avail) to end up on top of what was a hell of a game, and then listen to the hush of the 100,000 Cowboys fans in attendance stunned and crushed. I no longer wonder what gobsmacked sounds like when turned up to 11:

Nice place you got there, Jerry.  Can't wait to come back!
Bwahahaha. The Cowboys have really had the Giants' number whenever the G-Men go to Texas, especially recently, so it was a huge relief to get a win. Doubly so for all the hype about the Cowboys' new stadium, most of which I thought was overblown but some of which I thought would have an impact on the Giants' offense. I expected more NY false start penalties. I expected more missed signals and blown routes. But the Giants apparently had icewater transfusions yesterday because they just stayed focused, moved the ball, and did their jobs. Meanwhile, I would love to take this as a sign of things to come for the Cowboys. They're too good a team to really suffer utter humiliation and ruin, but if they end up losing more games than they win at home this year, I will just laugh and laugh and laugh. This is (one of many reasons) why I never pursued a career in sports journalism. I like storylines too much to just stick to the facts. I would be looking - praying - for evidence of a Curse of the Egodrome, for a narrative that showed that the billion-dollar new stadium was the worst thing that could have happened to the Cowboys, and if their straight W-L record didn't prove my point I would have to invent some other bizarre numerological interpretations of their gypsy-hexed suckitude.

I will probably break blog tradition and post twice today, because I do want to recap some of the highlights of yesterday's gathering, but I wanted to make sure I got the fan-gloating out of the way early. Giants are 2-0 ... woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment