Wednesday, March 31, 2021

389

So I got my first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine tonight.

My wife got vaccinated a while ago because she is a community college professor, and therefor both a state employee and an educator, both high-priority categories. Our kids are all too young to be vaccinated (so far, as things stand, who knows what the rules will be a few months from now) but I read something recently that basically said the vaccine is good and necessary protection but not 100%, more like 80-90% resistance, whereas kids (non-immunocompromised kids, and we are very lucky to have an inherently healthy brood) just seem to have natural immunity of about ... 80 - 90% resistance. So an unvaccinated low-risk child is in about as good shape as a vaccinated low-risk adult. So, yay?

It feels like a turning point in this whole saga. I mean, duh, of course, but at the risk of sounding solipsistic it feels like we collectively have reached a turning point in this entire saga, as I'm seeing lots and lots of people posting their vaccine status updates every day. Conceivably, the natonal vaccination effort could be complete by the Fourth of July, they say. So it seems appropriate, in this pandemic-diary-within-a-blog, to specifically call out the day I got the shot.

There's so many things I haven't yet documented about the past year-plus, and partly that's because there were long stretches where things just looked and felt so dire and draining and I couldn't bring myself to play amateur first-draft historian. But now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps I'll go back and fill in some standout moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment