Friday, March 18, 2011

Rebounding

I had a pretty gnarly cold or bug or something this week which hit its symptomatic crescendo yesterday (fatigue, muscle aches, congested sinuses and chest, hot painful lump in throat, low-grade headache, little to no appetite) but I decided to go ahead and be THAT guy: I came to work anyway. In my defense I covered my coughs scrupulously and I don’t have a lot of face-to-face interaction with people in my office anyway, and hasn’t modern science determined that the day you feel sickest isn’t necessarily the day you’re most contagious anyway? Well, if there’s an agency-wide outbreak, mea culpa. At the moment I have exactly three days worth of Paid Time Off in the bank and can count on accruing one more between now and paternity leave if my wife goes all the way to her due date (although I’ll probably end up taking every single day off for the birth of our child as unpaid leave, because I can, so that I still have time off in the bank for June when I’ll need a few travel days for my brother-in-law’s wedding). So, I made the self-serving call.

I’m feeling better today and I haven’t noticed any mass absenteeism in the rest of the office, so hopefully no harm, no foul. I bring it up here for a couple of reasons. One, if I seemed at all delirious or repetitive in my post yesterday I would ask you to attribute that to the DayQuil talking, please. Given the swimmy state of my head yesterday I probably wouldn’t have blogged at all, except for other mitigating circumstances. I had already written a fair bit of the stuff about The Wise Man’s Fear, but I had lopped it off of the end of what became Wednesday’s post before Wednesday got completely out of control. And the little guy’s Three Little Pigs game didn’t necessarily make a ton of sense to begin with, which is entirely the point, so that wasn’t too much effort to convey. But in tying it all together and finishing it off, I may have gotten somewhat muddled.

Two, although I am feeling better today I do not have a mostly-written post waiting for me that only needs a little bit of extra embroidery. I have, in fact, got nothin’, and it looks like that’s what you’re going to get, too, all of the above notwithstanding. But the weekend begins very soon and I will no doubt get up to some wacky high jinks therein, so the source material reserves will be replenished by Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment