Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cuttings

My fondest hope for today is to obtain a lawn mower and (if I may be allowed a two-part fondest hope) to mow the damn lawn, which is loooooong past needing it. The obtaining of the item in question should not be too difficult, since I still have a balance on a Lowe’s giftcard Christmas/housewarming present and there is a Lowe’s on my way home from work and I am slightly ahead on hours this week (as usual) and can leave work early to make the sidetrip and my wife is home with our boy and I don’t need to rush to daycare for a pick-up …

As always, I dare to dream the impossible dream.
To be totally honest there are, by my reckoning, about a million little projects strewn about the house which are half-begun and never-done. Painting has stalled out, as has unpacking the basement, ditto the garage, et cetera et cetera. So on the one hand if I can get the lawn mowed (mown?) then I will be able to cross SOMEthing off the list and feel a momentary sense of SOME accomplishment. I hope. It’s entirely possible that I feel like nothing ever gets done because that’s just the headspace I’m stuck in right now, and maybe I have been getting other things done all along but I’m selectively interpreting the evidence and even the lowering of my rising grass tide to the same level as my neighbors’ won’t get me unstuck and I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

But hey, hopefully it’s the former. I know I tend to bring things up on the blog when I’m in the middle of working my way through them and then never return to them again once they’re resolved. This is largely because middles are interesting and resolutions are emphatically not. A reasonably safe bet is that if I never mention something again, it got satisfactorily taken care of and became a non-issue and I’ve just moved on. (Case in point: did the new little dog ever get a proper name? Of course he did.) So, if we never speak of yardwork and rake guards and discharge bags again, just assume everything worked out for the best.

(OK, fine, who are we kidding here: one way or another I’m sure we’ll talk about discharge bags again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment