Monday, September 13, 2010

Sports again, and don't even act surprised

It’s lamentably rare that my wife and I get to enjoy a nice autumn weekend wherein the Michigan Wolverines, New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers all notch victories on the football field, but this past weekend was just that type of weekend, and we were pleased. Apparently, the sports-karma price to pay for this was that all weekend long the Yankees kept losing to the Rangers, including Mo blowing a save by hitting a batsman with the bases loaded what the WHAT. Not sure I would have taken that deal overall if it had been offered in those terms on Friday afternoon, but ah well, what’s done is done. Maybe it’s for the best that I don’t get to make those kind of decisions anyway.

For example, maybe it’s for the best that the Yankees got a sweep (or, I suppose, a swept) out of their system before heading down to Tropicana Field and defending their razor-thin AL East advantage over the Rays. They could pad their lead, or they could blow it, or neither/both. And they get to do it all again in another week, but in the Bronx. Maybe I just won’t talk about baseball anymore until September 24th or so. Again, maybe that’s for the best.

So meanwhile, football it is! The programming in my market is off to an atypical start (just in case the Texans beating the Colts wasn’t atypical enough for everyone) – because the Redskins got the opening Sunday night game, they weren’t blacking out the Giants during the day, so I actually got to watch most of the New York-Carolina game. And then next week, the Giants are playing the (vulnerable!) Colts on Sunday night, so I’ll get to see that game televised as well. I don’t even remember the last time I even had the option of watching the first two Giants games on tv without going to a sports bar, so that’s cool.

And while I’m on the subject of being oddly thankful for the Redskins’ schedule, I would be remiss not to express my gratitude to the Skins for embarrassing the Cowboys in a truly ugly but inarguably effective win last night. That game was such a poopstorm that my wife and I found ourselves discussing how many similar consecutive losses it would take for Wade Phillips to get fired by Jerry Jones. (I put the over/under at 4, if anyone wants some of that action.) But the important thing is that a bad guy loss is as sweet as if not totally sweeter than a good guy win, and I have said before that this attitude probably makes me a bad person, and I still don’t care.

Ha, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment